Updated: Nov 6, 2020
Do you dream of having a “Pinterest-worthy” closet? We have spent countless hours helping our clients achieve just that! A beautiful closet is high on many people’s wish lists, but the task of achieving a beautifully organized space can seem overwhelming. A closet is an area where it’s easy to quite literally close the door on your problems, and clutter can become unmanageable fast! We are here to give you our top Its Arranged tips on achieving a beautifully organized closet!
1. First and foremost prioritize a manageable-sized wardrobe, because no space can be successful when it’s bursting at the seams!
○ Are you familiar with the Pareto principle or the 80/20 rule? It holds true for your clothes too. You likely tend to only wear 20% of your wardrobe 80% of the time. Take this into consideration, and edit pieces from your wardrobe that you no longer wear, feel good in, are not your style or don’t fit.
○ If you find it difficult to edit your wardrobe you may find it easier to start with accessories. Take it one category at a time: shoes, hats, ties, handbags, jewelry and then move on to clothing: shorts, leggings, jeans, sweaters, etc.
○ Use our hanger trick: put all clothing in your closet with the hanger hook facing you. Once you wear a piece, put it back into your closet with the hook facing away from you. Come back in 3 months and reassess the pieces with the hooks still facing towards you. If you haven’t worn something and it’s not seasonal, do you really need it in your wardrobe? 2. Increase your closet space. We don’t mean a renovation- there are plenty of ways to increase the space your closet already has to offer!
○ Editing your wardrobe to a manageable size is the biggest space saver, but if space is still tight, we suggest storing out-of-season clothing in a spare closet or storage space so your closet only holds the items you are currently wearing.
○ Utilize vertical space by adding additional closet rods or shelving. Adding an additional rod can double the hanging space your closet currently has. Store items on shelves and create drawers with baskets or bins.
○ If you need a space increase that is less permanent- we love over-the-door storage systems for additional shoes, scarves, belts, and bag storage!
3. Give your space a boutique-feel. The details are where your closet will really start to take shape! The number one way to ensure you love your closet is to make it feel special to YOU.
○ Give your closet a one-of-a-kind boutique feel by displaying some of your favorite items. Go-to jewelry feels extra special displayed on a bust, and handbags are beautiful perched atop a shelf!
○ Matching hangers are a cost-effective way to add instant sophistication to your wardrobe.
○ Want to go the extra mile? Color-coordinating your clothing will make your space picture-perfect every time you open the door. We suggest ordering clothing from lightest to darkest and in rainbow colors.
Are you itching to start your own closet project now? We hope so! If you’re still unsure on how to get started, contact your friends, Amy Delaplain and Cynthia Lindsey, at Its Arranged.